Sunday, December 21, 2008

The best place for my longest run so far...



I did it!! Well almost... I've been wondering when I would hit the 10 mile mark, but I came super close today.  DC Team Challenge met up at Burke Lake Park, VA and we ran around the lake twice.  It's not a small lake... between 4.5 and 4.7 miles once around... and has a great run/walk/bike trail.... so we ran somwhere between 9 and 9.5 miles.  For the most part it's gravel & dirt paths, with the occasional paved bit near parking areas.  The trail is very scenic by the lake with some great clearings where you can look over to the other side of the lake.  I noticed some geese and squirrels running around this morning.  The sun was not shining much today (hopefully that means it was in Denmark!), so it was an overcast, grey sky with  chill in the air, but not wind... so it was good weather for a long run.

The Burke Lake Park was an excellent location for my longest run of more than 9 miles... I believe how the goal distance of the day was split in half around the lake, it was very motivating.  Because as soon as you ran around the lake once, you knew you could do it again... or maybe it was I just kept going and then before you know it you're about 1/4 away around the lake, so you might as well keep going.  And just like Jeremy told me during our lunchtime run, if you continue running, you'll get back faster! lol Such great common sense advice... but it really works when you're out there running.  Plus I remember that training quote from a previous post saying every mile you run, adds to your bank (of endurance).... so 13.1 miles really has been getting closer with every run I complete.

I've noticed during the chilly months, as we approached December and with the occasional below 30 or low 40s, my body warmed up after the first mile and after 3 miles I was breathing regularly with the cold air not bothering me so much.  I still have to figure out the best way to handle a runny nose in the cold weather.... I hate to keep sniffling and can't wait to get a tissue when I finish running.... but maybe this won't be a problem to worry about in Miami in the 60/70F weather... I can't wait!! It's amazing how your body adapts to the climate and change in temperature, while at the same time allowing itself to build an endurance to longer runs.  I believe running gives me a new appreciation for my body and more of what I'm capable of doing.... so that's awesome!

Today's run was fun... I met up with Kate and we always motivate and cheer each other on.  We comfortably ran at the same pace and are definitely looking forward to Miami to cross that Finish Line together!!  The first lap around the lake wasn't too bad... I remember seeing the 3.5 mile marker and thinking how fast that went.  When I saw the 3.5 mile marker for a second time, I was really proud of us!! We were doing it!!  Our Team Coaches were awesome and had a table set up with quick water and snacks for us at around the 4+ mile marker... The DC Team Challenge is really a great experience and an awesome bunch of people who are trying to hit the $3,600 minimum goal to run, but we all have the same goal to run across that 13.1 mile Finish Line & Find a Cure!!!

Christmas is this week, but I'm going to try my best to keep up 
with my training and not let myself slack off.  I commented to a friend tonite though, about how I relaxed during the Thanksgiving holiday week and it didn't hurt me the following week.  Actually I believe it may have been a great rest for my body.... the only thing is the disappointment I get from not seeing the miles up during that week - so I guess running really can be a mental game after all. :-)

I'm looking forward to my next long run... I'll keep you posted on my training for the upcoming week and how I'm progressing towards that 10 mile mark!!  13.1 miles isn't that far anymore and neither is Miami!!!! Jan 25th will be here before we know it!!

4 comments:

Kelli Nørgaard said...

mathematically, I think you should round up....9.5 is TEN!!! You are almost o your half marathon!!! Way to go!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have been able to do it without you. Have a Merry Christmas and I'll see you next weekend (hopefully)!

Nichole said...

10 miles.... your almost there!

N said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.