Thursday, December 18, 2008

I don't think I could map out today's run!



Today was fun to run w/ Jeremy @ lunchtime.  When we started I commented that I was bored with running to Lincoln Memorial this week... imagine that! bored of running to Lincoln, and ever since I moved to DC Metro I always wanted to run to and around any of the Memorials.

Jeremy did a great job running anywhere and everywhere!  We started out as usual from our office bldg - a block from the Capitol Bldg & the Mall - and ran on the opposite side of Independence Avenue than we normally run.  Then Jeremy made a left turn at the light and we ran towards the Potomac River by L'Enfant Plaza.  We ran down towards the river in the direction of the Tidal Basin where I remember sneaking through to get to the Cherry Blossoms in the spring time during the festival.  If you visit DC, that's the time to come - April - when the Cherry Blossoms are in full bloom.  They're beautiful!!  Plus by April, the millions of people expected for Obama's Inaugural Event in January, will have been long gone!  It's going to be crazy in DC... and I'll be running around them all - ha ha!

There's also a Chesapeake Seafood place that sells fresh fish year round... always lots of tourists there and it's within walking distance of the Tidal Basin.  I have yet to get anything from there... then we headed back to the Washington Monument and across the National Mall towards Chinatown, The National Archives, FBI Hoover Building (a friend of mine who's an agent took me to lunch there, it was awesome!), by the National Building Museum... mentioning these federal buildings reminds me of when I awarded & administered the security guard contracts for these buildings.  Minus the FBI Building of course!!  Oh and that reminds me, we did run by the huge, gigantic Ronald Reagan Building... that was the best security guard contract I had while working @ Federal Protective Services HQ.  We ran by so many important places... then again it's DC... National Air & Space Museum, Old Smithsonian Castle, Dept of Agriculture....

I think I've gone off target with this post and need to concentrate more on how my running went today.  We ran for 50 mins, so that would mean about 4-5 miles.  I'm taking tomorrow off with running and relaxing my legs to get them ready for a long run with Kate on Saturday morning along with DC Team Challenge.  Kate is a lot of fun to run with... so I'm glad she mentioned setting a distance goal for us to run together on Saturday morning.  I'll continue to keep you posted how the running goes.... This is one of the best challenges I have committed to and so glad friends & family are supporting me and the great cause for CCFA - Thank you!!

3 comments:

Nichole said...

I like this post... running and a little bit of DC travel information. :)

Have fun on your run on Saturday. It is so nice and great that you found a friend that you really enjoy running with. Keep up the great work. Your kicking butt and taking names!

Kelli Nørgaard said...

I love the running tour... made me feel like I ran myself just reading your route!!

Rachel said...

Nichole & Kelli -
Thanks so much for the comments!! DC is a great place to run or walk... and even bike to work!!

If either of you ever venture to DC, you'll definitely have a tour guide... and I won't make you run if you don't want to. :-)