Thursday, November 6, 2008

Here's a Fun Fact

I've been interested in calculating something ever since I started running all over DC. The Washington Monument is 555 feet 5.5 inches and there's 5280 feet in a mile.
Question:
So how many times do we "run up" the Washington Monument when we run around it @ lunchtime?

Calculations:
555.4583 ft (approx of Monument height) / 5280 ft (feet per mile) = 0.105 miles

3 miles (Ran on Nov 5) / 0.105 miles (approx height of Monument in miles) = 28.57

Solution:
Jeremy and I ran up the Washington Monument almost 29 times yesterday! lol It's fun to think of it that way :-) Unfortunately... or maybe fortunately for us... you can no longer walk up the Monument and must take the elevator. But it still provides some great views of DC!

(Here's me at top of Monument looking over to the Lincoln Memorial... I made sure I pointed out to Mac all my running and biking routes from what we could see out the windows.)

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Ha! Too funny! My brain doesn't speak 'math' very well anymore, but thinking about something like that is definitely one way to make the time pass more quickly.

It must be wonderful being able to run around DC. I'm envious! So many sites, so much history.

Kelli Nørgaard said...

I HATE running, but with these views you have in DC, I might be persuaded to give it a try...lol

Rachel said...

Kelli & Sherry - thanks for your comments. You're both right about running in DC... at least I believe there is much motivation in being able to run to and around such great places! It's easy to let yourself get distracted from the thoughts of running and enjoy the DC atmosphere. :-)