Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ready, Set, Go!

Thanks for visiting my training blog for the Miami ING Half Marathon. I'm completing the race through the CCFA Team Challenge. I'm a member of the Greater Washington DC Chapter and each one of us has committed to raising at least $3,600 and running the Miami ING Half Marathon.

More than 80% of the donations goes toward medical research toward a cure and mission-critical programs. CCFA consistently meets the standards of organizations that monitor charities, including Better Business Bureau's Wising Giving Alliance (give.org) and American Institute for Philanthropy (charitywatch.org).

Although this is a Team Challenge, it's also a personal challenge for me. About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with Colitis, but have been in remission for 3+ years now thanks to new medicines from CCFA research. Besides the personal connection to the organization, I am also using this great opportunity to challenge myself to complete a half marathon.

I'll record my progress and training here for the Miami ING Half Marathon. Feel free to leave comments and notes of encouragement. Also, check out my Team Challenge Support Page.

2 comments:

Nichole said...

You already know why I am supportive of this foundation and you doing this. But on top of that, I love fitness/training blogs! Can't wait to watch your progress.

Rachel said...

Thanks Nichole... It definitely makes it more fun when you know you have friends cheering you on!

I'll try to make my posts fun or more interesting as I go... please leave any training suggestions or comments!