Saturday, October 18, 2008

3, 4, now 5 Miles!... & the "345" ticket!

Today was our DC Team Challenge Meetup training run @ Arlington, VA.  We meet every Saturday at various places throughout the DC Metro area at 8am for a long run and today it was 5 miles at least.  I don't have an exact calculation, but some team members wearing GPS said it was 5 miles.  We ran 30 minutes and then turned around for 30 more mins ... so it was a good run.  I found another running partner, Elizabeth, who shares similar pace with me and she's great at saying encouragements at the right times!

We met at Washington-Lee High School and headed for a run/bike trail called, Custis Trail.  There were plenty of hills and windy paths on the trail, but Elizabeth and I kept going for the 60 min run.  We only had to briefly stop for a traffic light to wait for traffic to pass, so this is a great trail to run without stops.

After the run we all met back @ Washington-Lee High School and Kevin (our Team Coach) answered any questions.  Then our fundraising clinic, presented by Dani our Team Manager took place.  She shared some insight on how we're (DC Team) doing compared to the other at least 50 (I believe it was a # high like that) Regional Teams are doing.  Team DC was in 2nd place last Saturday, but Team Long Island has surpassed us.... we'll catch up again I'm sure.  Dani made sure to congratulate on our great Team work so far and it's only the beginning!

Next was the fun surprise part.  Every Saturday, Dani acknowledges the Team Memeber who has raised the most donations during the week, she also awards the most creative websites, and Team members are invited to enter into a Raffle for a few dollars.  The winning you receive is then for you to place towards your Fundraising Goal.  I bought a ticket for $5 and 20 minutes later Dani pulled the winning ticket - Ticket #345.  I reached into my pocket and at first I couldn't find it, thinking no problem, because I never win anyway. lol  I found my ticket and it was #345!! I won :-)  I've only been home for 20 or so minutes and I already recorded the winning amount on my website.  Thanks DC Team Challenge!! :-)
I can't wait to continue running this week.... my last post is correct.  I keep feeling better the more I run! :-)

4 comments:

Nichole said...

You guys are doing great for 2nd out of 50-ish teams!! Great Job!

Congrats on winning also. I never win anything either, but maybe its best that way because when you do win, it makes it that much more exciting!

Anonymous said...

Yay, another pace partner! I hope that I'll be able to keep pace once my foot heals. It's feeling better already!

Rachel said...

Hi Kate -
I'm so happy for you... this is great news! I'm sure you'll have no problem with the pace... actually it will be fun for both of us to have another person (Elizabeth) at our pace! :-)

MoMo 2.0 said...

I am so proud of what you are doing! I finally stopped and took the time to read the reason why...and it makes it have an even bigger meaning... we are all behind you! Even those of us across the ocean!